2002 — 10 years ago
• Crayola introduced the Crayon Maker that let kids make “new” crayons from the remnants of old ones.
• The Tonawanda News ran a story on sex offenders living in Niagara Falls, Lockport and the Tonawandas and editorialized in support of Megan’s Law and tougher penalties for sexual offenders.
1987 — 25 years ago
• No paper issued
1962 — 50 years ago
• $10 worth of groceries was the top prize for the first person to approach the “Mystery Man” at Tonawandas Day at Crystal Beach.
• Nat King Cole headlined at Melody Fair with a “Sights and Sounds” musical review.
1942 — 70 years ago
• The Tonawanda Common Council voted unanimously to grant the Carpenter Rapid Transit line an extension of its franchise.
• The ornamental cannon which had adorned the Pine Woods Park were to be removed for salvage. The cannon were of steel and were souvenirs of World War 1.