The Tonawanda News
Tonawanda News — 2003 — 10 years ago
• Boxer “Baby” Joe Mesi spoke to Tonawanda Middle School students about the importance of overcoming disappointment when pursuing one’s goals.
• Taylor Devices Inc. and its affiliate, Tayco Devices Inc., marked record sales despite a rough national economy.
1988 — 25 years ago
• Rose and Angelo of NT won a “dream house” worth more than $156,000 during the Weekend with the Stars telethon.
• The NT Police Department celebrated its 100th anniversary.
1963 – 50 years ago
• Cans of dry gas and battery cables were the hottest selling items in area stores during one of the most savage storms ever to put an icy grip on the area.
• Cassius Clay, self-proclaimed “Louisville Lip,” and the undisputed “champ of prophesy,” promised that he would become the “champ of heavyweights” in 10 months, following his predicted knockout victory for the 13th time in 14 KO wins.
1943 — 70 years ago
• George Graf of Tonawanda had been aboard the U.S.S. North Hampton when the cruiser was sunk during a naval engagement in the Solomons. Graf wrote to his parents to tell them of his escape.
• The American Junior Red Cross in the City of Tonawanda received a letter of appreciation from the Veteran’s Administration at Castle Point, NY. Fifty Christmas boxes had been sent to the veterans by the pupils in Tonawanda High School and the Tonawanda Intermediate School.