Tonawanda News — 2003 — 10 years ago
• At a public meeting in the Town of Tonawanda, residents expressed their displeasure over a proposal that would construct a bridge that would connect Tonawanda and Fort Erie, Canada.
• Tonawanda school officials hoped that 16 surveillance cameras would deter vandalism at the high school.
1988 — 25 years ago
• The NT Community Education Department offered a seminar on the grading, pricing and quality of diamonds.
• Newly elected officers of the NT Senior Citizens Center were Charlotte Rislus, Ed Baker, Shirley Phelan and Winnie Wegrzyn.
1963 — 50 years ago
• “Ebb Tide” was announced to be the decorative theme for the annual Robert Bowen Scholarship Dance to be held at the Buffalo Launch Club. The dance raised funds to provide scholarships to a North Tonawanda High School senior boy and girl each year.
• Fathers of District Seven Camp Fire Girls were wined with unfermented grape juice, dined and royally entertained at Saint Amelia’s School Hall at a Father and Daughter Sweetheart Dinner.
1943 — 70 years ago
• Charles E. Hewitt, editor and publisher of the Tonawanda Evening News, gave an interesting and informative talk at the Church of Christ in North Tonawanda. Mr. Hewitt had spent five years in Germany and talked of conditions in that country during the rise of Hitler.
• Streamlined for war time but packed with facts from cover to cover, the Buffalo Evening News Almanac and Fact Book for 1943 had just been issued.