Tonawanda News — 2003 — 10 years ago
• The Frog Bar opened at Warrens and offered frog legs served in scampi sauce as a menu item.
• 200 area students participated in a penguin enrichment program at the Niagara Falls Aquarium that included a sea lion show and a play, “Beaks on Broadway.”
1988 — 25 years ago
• No paper published.
1963 — 50 years ago
• Catherine Hahn, a Tonawanda elementary teacher, announced plans to retire after 35 years of service.
• A lightning strike caused $6,000 damage to a barn on a Sweeney Street property. The barn housed cattle, machinery and hay.
1943 — 70 years ago
• North Tonawanda Lumberjacks were champs of the Niagara Frontier basketball league. By winning a 32-27 cage contest over Tonawanda High School on the Northside floor, the Lumberjacks completed the loop circuit and for the second straight year won the vaunted crown.
• Lt. Albert Humphreys, head football coach at Bucknell University, and Lt. jg S.J. “Bus” Blum, former North Tonawandans, were now Navy fighters. “Al” Humphreys was remembered for his brilliant work in turning out championship teams at North Tonawanda High School, an ability which took him to collegiate ranks. “Bus” Blum won local recognition for his gridiron prowess learned on local fields.