Tonawanda News — 2002 — 10 years ago
• Past and present graduates of Niagara University’s College of Nursing came together one last time as the college’s final nursing class received its convocation at Alumni Chapel.
• After a record-setting streak of bad landing weather, shuttle Endeavour returned to Earth bringing an astronaut and a pair of cosmonauts home from a six-month space station voyage.
1987 — 25 years ago
• Uniland Development announced plans to relocate its corporate headquarters from 200 Wales Avenue in the City of Tonawanda to a site adjacent to UB in Amherst.
• OLC Church celebrated a Wilgilia, a traditional Polish Christmas Eve dinner, which included the breaking of the “oplatek” and a meal that included barszcz, potatoes, fish and pierogi.
1962 — 50 years ago
• A map detailing how Tonawanda’s $1.5 million downtown urban renewal project will look was completed by De-Leaw-Cather Consulting firm and sent to the city.
• An intensive search was on for the Boston Strangler who murdered 8 women in Lynn and Boston MA.
1942 — 70 years ago
• The Gratwick Hose Co. blood bank attracted North Tonawanda families in its 117 donors with 16 pairs of spouses, fathers and sons. Many gave blood for their second or third time.
• Riders of the Carpenter Rapid Transit Service bus line complained to the Tonawanda Common Council about irregularities of buses causing employees to be late to work. A company representative was invited to the next council meeting.