Tonawanda News — 2002 — 10 years ago
• State Sen. George Maziarz was one of a number of elected officials of Polish-American descent invited to the White House for a breakfast with Poland’s President, Alexsandea Kwasniewski.
• Canal Fest opened with Lindsay Pratt as the newly crowned Queen, Katelyn O’Brocta the Teen Princess and Chelsea King as Junior Princess.
1987 — 25 years ago
• Frank Lorango, director of Sugar and Jazz, was “overwhelmed” with the reception the band received on stage in Disneyland during their recent trip to California.
• Doc Severinsen and the Tonight Show Band were slated to perform a single performance at Melody Fair.
1962 — 50 years ago
• John Britton, signed a baseball contract with the Baltimore Orioles for an estimated $35,000. The Tonawanda High School graduate is a right-hander and played baseball, football and basketball during his high school years.
• The North Tonawanda Housing Authority was doing a survey to determine if there was a need for low-cost, subsidized housing for senior citizens living in the community.
1942 — 70 years ago
• Mr. and Mrs. A. W. McKnight of Lincoln Avenue returned home from a fishing trip to Georgian Bay with 8 giant northern pike and 27 bass.
• Patriotic citizens who can spare four hours per week were being urged to report to the American Legion headquarters for duty as plane observers.
This feature is created
in cooperation with: