Tonawanda News — Isn’t it time? Haven’t enough innocent people died because of elderly drivers? Last summer saw a rash of accidents caused when elderly drivers crashed into buildings. It’s time for the Legislature to step in and enact a law requiring all drivers over the age of 60 to be retested every two years AND get medical clearance from an independent doctor. And, to the workers at the DMV: stop allowing those who don’t pass the eye test to get a license! If they can’t see, they can’t drive, period. If they complain and pitch a fit, too bad!
If you are one of the top 1 percent of Americans that earns over $250,000 a year, you should vote for Romney. You will probably be better off. If you are part of the remaining 99 percent, I understand your frustration. Things could probably be better for you, however, if you don’t want to vote for Obama, please don’t vote against him by voting for Romney. Just don’t vote at all. In case you have forgotten, let me refresh your memory on the last time we had a Republican president. This country suffered it’s worst attack in history on Sept. 11, 2001 resulting in over 3,000 Americans killed under George Bush’s watch. To save face, and benefit oil companies, he started an unnecessary war in Iraq that resulted 4,000 Americans killed and 20,000 wounded. George Bush’s policies turned a $236 billion budget surplus into a $4.8 trillion debt. His economic policies and deregulation led to the great recession and market decline in 2008 which resulted in many Americans watching helplessly as their savings were reduced by up to 50 percent. We still suffer the consequences today as evidenced by the JP Morgan Chase and Facebook debacles. Additionally, the country was losing 80,000 jobs per month while widening the gap between average Americans and the upper crust. Other than criticizing President Obama, candidate Romney has offered us little or no evidence that he has any new plan to improve this country. He simply wants to revert to the same failed policies of the Bush years. Why would anyone want a repeat of one of the dreadful periods in American history? Please be careful what you wish for.
It’s time for the high-priced Tops monopoly in the Tonawandas to come to an end. It’s time a Wegmans or Walmart is given support by the community and especially the leaders to open up shop in the Tonawandas. Let’s invite and promote business competitiveness and finally escape from “you don’t have any other choice” business advantage which has leverage over the grocery prices we pay. Then we will all benefit from lower prices.
I cannot wait for Walmart to open up because I’m sick and tired of going into Budwey’s watching the cashiers be humiliated in front of customers and fellow employees, checking for expired food.