CITY OF TONAWANDA — Firefighters were able to save a cat during a destructive fire at 60 Cleveland Ave. in the City of Tonawanda Monday evening. The fire was likely caused by the oven in the single-floor home, and no injuries were reported.
An occupant of the single-residence home told firefighters she put something on the stovetop and then went outside before noticing smoke emanating from the kitchen. The occupant immediately called 911.
City of Tonawanda, North Tonawanda and Grand Island firefighters responded to scene around 9:15 p.m.
“When we got there, the kitchen was completely engulfed in flames,” City of Tonawanda Fire Chief Charles Stuart said.
Both occupants of the home, a brother and sister, were outside when the fire began and were not injured. The brother did attempt to go back inside the home before firefighters arrived but the smoke prevented him from doing so.
“There were no civilian injuries,” Stuart said. “There was a deceased bird, who likely died from smoke inhalation, and we found the occupant’s unconscious cat in the living room.”
Assistant Chief Michael Young gave the cat oxygen and the cat perked up quickly, despite being a bit woozy.
“The cat seemed much better when we left,” Stuart said. “They were going to follow up with the vet.”
The fire caused about $25,000 of damage in the single-floor home. The kitchen was completely gutted and some heat damage did occur in the adjacent living room.
“All the appliances in the kitchen were ruined,” Stuart said. “And there was smoke damage throughout the house.”
Firefighters were able to get in the house fairly quickly and didn’t face any unusual challenges before leaving the site. They were on the scene for about 90 minutes.
Contact reporter Jessica Bagley at 693-1000, ext. 4150.